17: Churches - Pictures


PHOTO 17:31a

FARWELL OF DR. DUNCAN ON SUNDAY (Lakewood Methodist Church)
Congregation Will Honor Pastor Tonight
Unidentified Newspaper -- June 1942

CAPTION: Dr. W.W.T. Duncan delivers his farewell sermon Sunday morning in Lakewood Methodist church. (Story elsewhere.)

Return to 17: Churches Page

 

PHOTO 17:72a

CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION (Episcopal)
LAKEWOOD POST -- January 10, 1957

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:75a

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CHURCH
LAKEWOOD POST -- July 19, 1956

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:79a

TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH
LAKEWOOD POST -- January 30, 1958

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:98

GEORGIAN STYLE IN LAKEWOOD
PLAIN DEALER -- January 29, 1966

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:99

AFTER 123 YEARS, LAKEWOOD'S FIRST CHURCH WILL COME DOWN
PLAIN DEALER -- August 17, 1971

CAPTION: Saving the Past – Seen between the rough logs that hold the sanctuary floor of Lakewood’s oldest church, Rev. Ivors Gaide, left, and architect Herbert Robeznieks, remove the stained glass windows. The windows will be saved as replacements for any that are broken in the larger and newer United Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church at 15120 Detroit Avenue. (Plain Dealer Photo [Dudley Brumbach])

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:102

DIAMOND JUBILEE
Italian-inspired Church Is Priest's Legacy
LAKEWOOD SUN POST -- February 24, 1983

CAPTION: A silent, narrow stairway high in the bell tower leads to an outdoor balcony. (Sun Photo by Joe Glick)

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:103a

DIAMOND JUBILEE ST. JAMES
LAKEWOOD SUN POST -- February 24, 1983

CAPTION: Proving that "a thing of beauty is a joy forever" (Keats) is this intricately-designed leaded stained-glass rose window high above the front entrance of the church. (Sun Photo by Joe Glick)

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:103b

DIAMOND JUBILEE ST. JAMES
LAKEWOOD SUN POST -- February 24, 1983

CAPTION: One of the tenants of the church's bell towers rests on a weatherbeaten, exterior stone carving of an angel. (Sun Photo by Joe Glick)

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:104

DIAMOND JUBILEE ST. JAMES
LAKEWOOD SUN POST -- February 24, 1983

CAPTION: One of the tenants of the church's bell towers rests on a weatherbeaten, exterior stone carving of an angel. (Sun Photo by Joe Glick)

Return to 17: Churches Page

 


PHOTO 17:105

DIAMOND JUBILEE ST. JAMES
LAKEWOOD SUN POST -- August 24, 1983

CAPTION: This was the bustling scene May 16, 1955, outside St. James Church where a crowd collected to watch a crane with an outsize boom lift four new bells into place in the steep bell tower. The hand-cast replacement bells were shipped here from Holland by the manufacturer, Petit & Fritsen Co., a firm founded in 1660.

 

 

Return to 17: Churches Page

Return to Local History Files Main Page