Former Mayor Of Lakeood Is Dead
51:2 O.C. Berchtold
51:3 Jacob E. Tegardine
51:4 I.E. Canfield
51:5 Jos. J. Rowe
51:6 John Joseph Rowe
51:7 Joseph J. Rowe
51:8 C.L. Tyler
51:9 N.C. Cotabish
51:10 John Beach Coffinberry
51:11 J.B. Coffinberry
51:12 Clayton W. Tyler
51:13 Byron M. Cook
51:14 Hon. Louis Emmons Hill
51:15 Louis E. Hill
51:16 Hon. Edward Alexander Wiegand
51:17 Edward Alexander Wiegand
51:18 Amos I. Kauffman
51:19 Amos I. Kauffman
51:20 Bernard Miller
BIOGRAPHY: FORMER MAYOR OF LAKEWOOD IS DEAD
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 5-1-40
Otto C. Berchtold, 81, mayor of Lakewood before the suburb was incorporated as a city, died yesterday at his residence in Hotel Westlake.
A retired meat packer, Mr. Berchtold was prominent in that field here until his retirement 20 years ago. Since retiring, he had spent his winters in Eustis, Fla., and the rest of each year at his summer home in Put-in-Bay, O.
Mr. Berchtold was born in New York and came to Cleveland in 1864. He engaged in the meat business for 40 years as a member of the firm of Berchtold Bros.
and his wife, Amalia, celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary last December.
Also surviving him are two sons, Arthur W. and Alfred H. and two daughters,
Mrs. Alma F. Austin and Mrs. Ethel M. Ginnity.
BIOGRAPHY: O.C. BERCHTOLD
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
Berchtold was chosen Trustee of Lakewood and in the organization of the
board, elevated to the position of president and Mayor in 1899. Those serving
with him on the board were W.R. Wilbur and J.E. Tegardine. He was the third
citizen to be honored with the title of Mayor.
BIOGRAPHY: JACOB E. TEGARDINE
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
The fourth Mayor of Lakewood was Jacob E. Tegardine, who had served as trustee four years prior to his advancement to position as president and mayor. He was elected trustee in the spring of 1897, reelected in 1900, and succeeded O.C. Berchtold as executive officer in 1901.
Mr. Tegardine is a Civil War veteran, having served four years in Company 23, O.V.I. He was severely wounded in the battle of Winchester, receiving a gun shot wound in the abdomen, but on recovery he returned to the ranks and remained with his company until mustered out at the close of the war.
has served his constituents as postmaster, councilman, and mayor, and has
lived in Lakewood from boyhood.
BIOGRAPHY: I. E. CANFIELD
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
That the pioneers of Lakewood fully understood the gravity of its citizens taking to themselves the garb of hamlet, and organizing themselves into a new government, is shown in the choice of the men who were to sit as legislators and executive in the capacity of hamlet officials. The choice of Ira E. Canfield as executive reflects credit on those who were instrumental in gathering her scattered citizens into such a government.
Mr. Canfield was a man of mature years, of known business ability, and had the confidence of all her citizenship. His associates on the board, and the men who gathered around him to assist him in the governmental affairs of the hamlet, were all of a sturdy farmer stock and in the choice of Mr. Canfield and his associates evidence was put forth that these conservative citizens were determined that no errors should creep into the new government under which they had decided to embark.
Mr. Canfield was born in Chardon in 1821. He moved to East Rockport--made Lakewood by the recent acts of himself and friends--in 1864. He had lived 25 years in their midst and had made for himself a name famed for upright living and profitable conservatism. In the beginning of his residence in East Rockport Mr. Canfield had been a successful engineer on the Great Lakes and had only retired when the exigencies of poor health had forced this burden upon him.
Canfield served two terms as Trustee--six years--and during that time he
was president of the board and executive of the hamlet. When more active
men succeeded him as Mayor he was honored with the position of president
of the school board and in his declining years he served as justice of
the peace and notary public. He did much for the growth and prosperity
of the “new city”, and lived to see it one of the most popular suburbs
of his adopted city. Mr. Canfield died March, 1914, 93 years old.
JOS. J. ROWE
CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER, July 16, 1940.
Joseph J. Rowe, 66, first mayor of Lakewood when it became a village May 4, 1903, will be buried tomorrow in Riverside Cemetery following services to be conducted at 3 P.M. by Newburgh Masonic Lodge at the William R. & Roy A. Daniels funeral home, 15800 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood.
Mr. Rowe, who had been a clerk at the Board of Elections since 1937, died yesterday morning in his home at 17602 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood. He had been in ill health for more than a year, Wednesday night he called members of his family to his bed and wrote down dates that marked the highlight of his political career.
Born in Cleveland, Oct. 3, 1873, Mr. Rowe entered public office in 1900 when he was elected a trustee of the hamlet of Lakewood. In 1901 he was elected the last president of the hamlet’s board of trustees. He remained in that office until he became the first mayor when Lakewood became a village.
Following his term as Mayor, Mr. Rowe served the late Theodore E. Burton as private secretary during Burton’s terms in Congress. He was secretary of the congressional rivers and harbors committee in 1908 and 1909. He was elected to the Ohio Senate in 1920 and reelected in 1922. He was a state examiner in the Cleveland office in 1935 and 1936.
Mr. Rowe did not write that when he was only 27 the late Mark Hanna made possible his election as state central committeeman from the 20th Congressional District. While in the Ohio Senate he was made chairman of the legislative delegation from Cuyahoga County.
When he was running for the state senate, Mr. Rowe was asked what his administration in Lakewood had accomplished.
“We built the town,” he wrote, “abolished the old plank road on Detroit Avenue that was laid before the Civil War; abolished the toll gate at Warren Road and Detroit Avenues, had the car line on Detroit Avenue extended to Rocky River from Belle Avenue, constructed Clifton Boulevard and had the car line extended from W. 117th Street to Rocky River. We also had the carfare cut from 10 to 5 cents.”
Mr. Rowe is survived by his wife. Mrs. Edna Rowe; a daughter, Esther; a grandson, Jack; a stepson, John T. Mahan, and a stepdaughter, Mrs. Bessie Spiegel.
pallbearers who will serve at the funeral are Mayor Amos I. Kauffman of
Lakewood; Clayton W. Tyler and N.C. Cotabish, former Lakewood mayors; William
F. Eirick, John H. Orgill, Thomas Orgill, Edwin D. Barry, Alexander Bernstein,
Common Pleas Judge Frederick P. Walther, Jack Davis, Harry L. Davis, Frederick
Erwin, Thomas Garvey, Fred R. Williams and Stephen Suhaysik.
JOHN JOSEPH ROWE
HISTORY OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND CLEVELAND W.R. COATES -- VOLUME III, PG. 42-43
Hon. Joseph John Rowe is a native son of Cleveland, has spent thirty years in the business program, being president of two successful companies, is a resident of Lakewood, and is in his second term of service as a member of the Ohio State Senate.
His parents were William J. and Mary (Symons) Rowe, natives of England, where they married. Coming to the United States, they located at Cleveland during the early ‘70s. William J. Rowe took up railroading, and for many years, until he retired on pension, was with the Lake Shore and the New York Central Railway. After retiring he spent a number of winters in California, and died at Los Angeles in 1921, at the age of seventy-three. His wife died in 1913.
Joseph John Rowe was born at Cleveland October 3, 1873, and his education was acquired in the city grammar and high schools. Leaving school he took up business and for several years he proved his faithfulness in the discharge of minor duties as a preparation for an independent career. Later he organized the J.J. Rowe Company, wholesale dealers in coal and builders’ materials. This firm has its offices in the Hanna Building.
Mr. Rowe’s home has been in Lakewood for a quarter of a century. Throughout that time he has been prominent in the affairs of the community. Before Lakewood became a city he served three years as president of the Village Board of Trustees. He was the first mayor of Lakewood under the city charter, and after serving a full term was reelected without opposition. He was elected on the republican ticket a member of the State Senate in 1920 and reelected in 1922. He has been one of the most influential members of the Cuyahoga County delegation in the Senate. At the regular Eighty-Fourth Session of the General Assembly of 1923 he was chairman of the important senate committee on public works, as well as a member of other committees. In Eighty-Fifth Assembly of 1923 he was chairman of the committee on roads and highways. At both sessions he took a prominent part in all legislation pertaining to taxation, and introduced several important bills that were enacted in the laws.
Rowe is a member of Newburg Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and
is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner.
JOSEPH J. ROWE
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
Mr. Rowe was born in Cleveland, October 3, 1873. He began his active business career in the local office of the Lake Shore Railway Company, became an employee of the Erie Builders’ Supply Company, and in 1913 organized the Euclid Builders’ Supply Company.
He began political life as Assistant Treasurer of Cuyahoga County and later was chosen president of the Lakewood Board of Trustees, the presidency constituting him Mayor of the hamlet. After a three-year term as trustee he was elected Mayor of the village, the hamlet changing into a village during his incumbency of the office. At his re-election he was chosen without opposition, no one running against him. And while he was serving his second term the Legislature extended his term of office.
Mr. Rowe has always affiliated
with the Republicans of Lakewood, and claims the distinction of being the
last trustee-executive and the first elected Mayor under the statute providing
for a distinctive executive.
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD – F.C. LOWING
The second mayor of Lakewood, C.L. Tyler, was born in Royalton, Ohio, in March, 1854. While a boy, moved to Cleveland, and after attaining manhood and making a start in business life moved to Lakewood in 1881.
It was not long after Mr. Tyler came to Cleveland that he was attracted to the residence section of Lakewood, with its possibilities as a place for home building, and he moved there with his family. He soon adjusted himself to his new environs, took an interest in the business and social life of its people, and with little effort became a leader among them.
Tyler died January 26, 1901, while still in the prime of life. While yet
young he had accomplished more than usually falls within the possibilities
of a single life, and had made a name for himself in the business and social
life of the hamlet of his adoption that will live long after his name may
Mr. Cotabish was seventh Mayor of Lakewood in the succession of numbers, and assumed the duties of the position in 1909, serving one term. He had begun life as a poor boy but at the time of his elevation to the executive head of the Lakewood government had made advancement from one position to another until he had risen to the head of the sales department of the National Carbon Company, one of the largest and most prosperous manufacturing concerns in the Sixth City.
Cotabish is a large property holder in Lakewood.
JOHN BEACH COFFINBERRY
HISTORY OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND CLEVELAND - W. R. COATES -- Volume III, Pg. 43-45
The Coffinberry family, of which John Beach Coffinberry of Cleveland and Lakewood is an honored member, has been in Ohio for almost a century and has given to the state several of her most distinguished jurists, business and professional men. The family is of Holland Dutch extraction and its founders in America settled long before the Revolutionary war, in Berkley County, Virginia.
Abraham Coffinberry, youngest son of Andrew Coffinberry, was born at Mansfield, Ohio, in 1812. He followed farm pursuits until 1849, when he crossed the plains to California in company with others, but reached no farther than Sacramento where he was taken ill and soon died. In those days it took a long time for news of any kind to be transported, and many weary months went by before his family learned that he would never return. The maiden name of his wife was Eliza Beach, who was born near Mansfield, Ohio, and died at Springfield, Ohio. Her father, the maternal grandfather of John Beach Coffinberry of Cleveland, was Jonathan Beach, who came to Ohio from Scotland and settled early in Richland County. To Abraham and Eliza (Beach) Coffinberry eight children were born. The youngest of these, John Beach Coffinberry, was born at Spring Mills, a few miles distant from Mansfield, Ohio, on April 7, 1847. He attended the common schools, and leaving the farm at an early age went to Mansfield. From there the family moved to Bellefontaine, Ohio. At the age of eighteen he came to Cleveland. He then went East for three years, engaged with a sewing machine company in Pennsylvania and New York. In 1870 he came back to Cleveland, where he read law in an attorney’s office and attended law school. He then went to Tennessee and met with much business success in that state. He remained there for two years, at the end of that period being admitted to the Tennessee bar. He was a member of the Cleveland City Council in 1882, ran for Congress in 1896 on the democratic ticket for the Fourteenth District.
Mr. Coffinberry returned then to Cleveland, but shortly afterward visited Texas and during his stay there was much impressed with the vast possibilities of that state, and the need of modern transportation facilities for the development of her business centers. His interest along this line continued and at a later date he returned to Texas and, representing eastern capital, he built the line of interurban railway from Dallas to Fort Worth.
For a number of years Mr. Coffinberry was a prominent citizen of Lorain, Ohio, serving as mayor of that city and identifying himself with its most important enterprises. He was one of the builders and was president of the Lorain and Elyria Interurban Electric Railway, and was instrumental in having the Johnson steel works removed from Pennsylvania to Lorain. He was serving as mayor at the time that a military company was recruited here for the Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and helped raise the necessary funds for the same and entered its ranks as a private. When the war with Spain came on the company was called out. On account of his age he was advised to resign, but this recommendation was entirely distasteful to him, his reply being that he had belonged to the regiment in time of peace and as a good soldier could not resign in time of war. Therefore he accompanied the organization to Florida, where he was transferred to the commanding general’s headquarters to be given the rank of captain. When it became evident that his regiment would never be needed in Cuba, he accepted a furlough and returned home, where he later was discharged. He had, however, set an example of patriotism and devotion to duty that is not forgotten and may well be emulated.
Mr. Coffinberry was married in Ohio to Miss Bertha Shotter, who was born in Connecticut, her parents being natives of the Dominion of Canada. They have two sons: John, who attended Harvard University and the Iowa State Agricultural College, then went to South America and spent two years there in the cattle business; and Arthur S. who is a student, taking special courses in the Case School of Applied Sciences at Cleveland.
establishing his home at Lakewood, Ohio, Mr. Coffinberry was elected mayor,
later served on the board of education and in other capacities of civic
importance. He was one of the organizers of the Colonial Savings and Trust
Company of Lakewood and is vice president of the same, and also was one
of the organizers of the Lakewood State Bank and was a member of its board
of directors when that bank was taken over by the Guardian Savings and
Trust, and a director for another year. He still is active in the business
world, extensively interested in real estate in Ohio and Michigan, and
since 1918 has been treasurer of the R.C. Products Trust Company of Cleveland.
He is a man of modest pretension who, nevertheless has great reason to
be proud of his life’s achievements. Mr. Coffinberry was a member of the
war board during the World War and served until the war was over.
J. B. COFFINBERRY
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
Lakewood’s official family has been presided over by but one Democrat--J. B. Coffinberry. At all other times a Republican has sat in the “chair of state” and administered the functions coming to the man chosen as the chief executive. But in 1911 there was a breaking up of the solid phalanx of Republicanism, and as a sequence Mr. Coffinberry led the cohorts of Lakewood Democracy to victory.
Mr. Coffinberry was born on a farm near Mansfield, Ohio, and given his early education in the country schools near his home.
Mr. Coffinberry was at one time a member of Cleveland City Council. When the steel business expansion was on at Lorain he went to that city to handle the real estate development in connection with the big steel mills. He was one of the promoters in the Lorain and Elyria Railway Company, and was its first president. He was Mayor of Lorain within the time that he was a resident of that city.
In 1902 Mr. Coffinberry
came to Lakewood, and began business there -- where he had been a property
owner and taxpayer for many years. He was elected Mayor of Lakewood November
7, 1911, and served as chief executive for two years.
CLAYTON W. TYLER
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F.C. LOWING
The subject of this sketch, who is the present Mayor of the City of Lakewood, is the ninth executive in the point of numbers to sit in the Mayor’s chair. While yet a young man he has accomplished much in the business world in which he lives and has made a name for himself as one of the legal fraternity in the Sixth City--of which Lakewood is a business member.
Mayor Tyler is a Lakewood product and was born in the city May 4, 1883. His whole life has been spent in the city of his birth; through the grades of its grammar school, graduated from its High School, and matriculated in the Western Reserve Law School. He is a Forest City product, and his boyhood days, his youthful enjoyments and his budding manhood are all centered in the scenes of Lakewood and its school and social life.
As a young man, Clayton W. Tyler began the practice of law in Cleveland at the close of his school days in 1906.
the building of a legal practice has not been Mr. Tyler’s only activity.
Since 1906 he has found many hours to devote to the business and social
uplift of his home city, and has on several occasions been called to its
service. In November 1907, he was chosen to a place in the City Council
and took his seat in that body January 1, 1908. He served two years in
the capacity of City Father. Two years later he was chosen as President
of Council, and assigned the task of presiding over the deliberations of
the city’s legislature. Two years later he was “again higher” and asked
by the people of Lakewood to become the executive head of the city government--to
perform the duties of Mayor or directing head of the business affairs of
the city. He is executive head of the city’s government at the time this
BYRON M. COOK
E.G. LINDSTROM’S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL
The subject of this sketch, Byron M. Cook, second Mayor of Lakewood under the new charter, was born in a Methodist parsonage in Ontario, Canada. While yet a baby he was brought to the States, being reared in Michigan where the father served as a Methodist Minister in various localities.
Because of the itinerary, the boy’s early education was more or less fragmentary. Schools, teachers, texts, and curricula changed often -- sometimes from bad to worse. It seemed to the boy often that he had scarcely found his place in a school before he was plucked out by the rude hand of the Bishop, and compelled to adjust himself in the educational world again. If the father accompanied the boy to school on the first day in a new place, he usually convinced the Principal that Byron was very bright -- equal to almost any task, in fact -- with the result that he was placed about a year ahead of his grade. Then ensued a sorry time for the boy, hard work, worry, lack of sleep, sometimes failure; with the result that at the next place, his report not being very good, he was put back, this time far enough perhaps so that he could have a little fun, but that educationally left much to be desired. He was doubtful about his spelling, keeping a dictionary close at hand when writing, or saying to some member of the family, “Take a look at this please, and see how many words I have mispelled. Some of them don’t look just right to me.”
However, moving often was probably not an unmixed evil, for it was because of it no doubt, that the freckled-faced, white-headed Byron became the good mixer that he proved to be. He made warm friends with young and old, in all ranks of life, wherever he went. He was never over-awed by the mightiest, or snobbish toward the humblest. To him they were equals -- brothers all.
In spite of his early hindrances educationally, he was graduated from high school and later, with honors from the Michigan State Normal College, at Ypsilanti. History and Political Science claimed much of his time in the latter course, though he was very fond of Botany, especially the study of fungi, and other less known forms of plant life. During his senior year he was an instructor in that branch.
It was during the years when he was intermittently taking his college work that he put in some time as a bookkeeper at the Republic Iron Mine in Northern Michigan, as it was necessary for him to earn the required funds to carry on his schooling. It was during this time that he met his future wife, Miss Minnie Goodes, who was then a classmate at the Normal. Following his graduation, he taught successfully for four years in North Dakota, the school being not much more than a large township school at the time he was engaged to teach. He organized it into four departments, formulated a course of study, and graduated the first class from High School. His greatest success however, lay in his hold on the young life under his care, the ideals and ambitions he managed to instill. “How is it,” one mother is said to have remarked to a pupil who had a reputation as a trouble maker, “that I don’t receive so many bad reports about you any more?”
“Well, you know,” returned the pupil, “Mr. Cook makes you see things differently. I never thought much about it’s not being right to waste my time, and maybe that of the rest of the boys and girls, but he makes you so ashamed of it. I don’t know how it is, but the rest of the kids all feel that way about it, too. Believe me, we behave just as good when he is out of the room as we do when he is there to watch us. It’s just in yourself, you know.”
In later life, these same boys and girls wrote to him, or came to him, and as they reported their efforts and various successes, the things in which they knew he would be interested, the ending was almost invariably the same. “But I’ll have to give you the credit, Mr. Cook. I’d never have thought I could have done it, but for the ambition and the encouragement you gave me.”
During the long vacations of these years in the west, he worked in the local bank, familiarizing himself with that special branch of office work, and the banking traditions in general. He was urged to give up school work and become a regular employee, but while the call of business was strong, it seemed to come with the greatest insistence from the east. The fact that all his relatives were in the east, that his father was in failing health, that teachers salaries at that time were at a low ebb, all conspired to induce him to accept a position with the Cleveland Audit Company, which was offered at that time.
Lakewood appealed to him -- the fresh air, the pretty, quiet streets, and the fine class of people that lived in the tasteful homes; so he cast his lot with them, established his home at 1378 Beach Avenue, where he lived for the last eighteen years of his life. That he espoused the cause of Lakewood in the thorough way in which he did everything else was soon evident; for the first dry campaign found him intensely active. He had long felt tat every municipality, at least, owed a wholesome environment to its children. He proceeded in his characteristic fashion, to do his bit to bring this about in Lakewood. He spoke, sang, made house to house visitations, and when the campaign proved successful he was most happy. People said at that time, “There’s a man who ought to go into politics. He’s square, his personality is pleasing, he’ll give us the service we want.” So shortly the old city hall received him as Clerk, beginning for him a period of nearly fourteen years of continuous service as a public official, holding respectively the offices of Clerk, Auditor, Director of Finance, and Mayor.
He was called upon to be the city’s executive during a most trying period. The war was in progress. It was not only difficult to carry forward public improvements, due to government restrictions, but there was a demand on public men in behalf of the war and patriotic causes such as the country had never known before. As Mayor, he threw himself into his work with all his strength and soul. During this strenuous period there came the Influenza epidemic and the opening of the municipal hospital at Lakewood Park. In this task he carried his full share of the burden. His support of the Lakewood War Emergency Board which had its headquarters at the city hall was also largely instrumental in promoting its success.
Although the war prevented him from accomplishing much that would otherwise have been possible in the way of public work, yet his administration during its brief course was active in the opening and equipping of the beautiful Lakewood Park; in the paving of Detroit Street, and making plans for similar improvements on Clifton and Madison; fostering of the Public Growers’ Market; preparations for the opening of Franklin Avenue; opening of the new fire station at the west end of the city; cooperation in the development of a county boulevard park system in the Rocky River Valley; revision of the city building code; planning the opening of Edgewater Drive; development of the new intercepter sewer system, and similar public works of far reaching importance. He was also active in gaining municipal suffrage for Lakewood women, and in securing three cent fare for Lakewood.
He had a wide acquaintance among not only the people of Lakewood, but of Cleveland. He impressed all by his friendly modesty, and his quiet but firmly intelligent stand for fair dealing in every issue. It was conceded that no man in Lakewood was so conversant with public affairs as he, for he was in constant touch with all that transpired in municipal life for fourteen years, a period in which Lakewood grew from a village to a city of 50,000.
In religion he was Protestant, yet not narrowly so, a devoted member of the Detroit Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, self-sacrificing in his financial support, serving on the Official Board, teaching in the Sunday School, and singing in the choir. He was the possessor of a very beautiful high baritone voice -- indeed, his gift in this respect was such that he might have a successful musical career, had he so desired.
Besides his church relationship, he was also and active member of both the Masonic Order, and the Elks.
His greatest delight, though, was his home and family. The children swarmed over him when he came, and waved goodbye as far as they could see him when he went. In the interim, he often might be found with a child on each knee, one on each chair arm, and perhaps one or two more standing on the rockers, while he told them wonderful stories, or sang songs to them. Sometimes the songs were funny, though not originally so, for if he forgot a line he immediately invented one, to the great delight of the children, and the song continued without a hitch. His parents insisted that he was too indulgent, but he always said that he didn’t want his boys and girls to stand in awe of him, as he had of his father. He wanted them to feel that Daddy was the best kind of chum. Even during his last illness he wanted the home to continue as usual -- the music and fun to which it was accustomed. If he missed it he at once asked about it.
Up to the time of his last illness, his Sunday afternoon walks were an institution. While the baby took his nap (there were six babies in succession) and mother had a little rest after dinner, all the children who could walk were taken. The flock was augmented by the children from the neighboring homes, until it looked like a class picnic. Sometimes it was a picnic, sometimes their destination was a park ball game, but more often the walk was a delightful nature study.
His botanical studies enabled him to call to the children’s attention many things new and strange. Then, again, he might take them to see some improvement planned or in progress for Lakewood, carefully explaining how the work was carried on, the need for it, etc., trying to create an interest in their municipality, and help to make them good citizens.
Early in 1919, it became evident that his health was beginning to fail under the tremendous strain of events at the time. A visit to the hospital for examination and observation, confirmed the fears of his friends that he was suffering from a fatal malady. However, long after he was compelled to cease his visits to his office, he retained his hold on public affairs. Conferences were held at his bedside, legal papers were read to him, and he affixed his signature if they merited his favor, for his interest in municipal affairs was unabated, and his mind continued keen. In fact, the last legal paper was signed but four days before his death, his tremendous will sustaining him as the body failed.
It might be said that his entire life was the exemplification of a favorite hymn of his -----
We are not here to play, to dream, to drift,
We have hard work to do, and loads to lift.
Shun not the struggle. Face it. ‘Tis God’s gift
Be strong! Be strong!”
HON. LOUIS EMMONS HILL
HISTORY OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND CLEVELAND - W. R. COATES -- Volume II, Pg. 244-245
Hon. Louis E. Hill, son of Col. Hosea and Mary (Pillsbury) Hill, was born on old Kentucky (now West Thirty-eighth) Street and Clinton Avenue, Cleveland, on February 10, 1873. After graduating from West High School, 1891, he became identified with the Cleveland Tanning Company, and spent nearly thirty years in active service with that organization. Later he became president of the Standard Top and Equipment Company and president of the Cleveland Auto Top Trimming Company.
Inheriting a love of the military from his father, Mr. Hill has a record as a soldier in the active service of his country. He joined Troop A, First Ohio Cavalry, Ohio National Guard, in 1892, and went with that organization into the Spanish-American war in 1898, in which conflict it was known as the Fourth United States Regiment of Infantry, and was the first regiment to embark for the Philippine Islands. He entered that service as second lieutenant under commission from President McKinley, and while in the Philippine Islands he was promoted to first lieutenant. He returned home on sick leave, his furlough was extended, and finally he resigned his commission in the army.
In 1911 Mr. Hill became a citizen of Lakewood, and from that time to the present he has been prominent in the civic affairs of that city, and he has contributed much to and has been a part of the wonderful development of that city into one of the most beautiful residential communities in the state. In 1919 he was elected mayor of the city, and so efficient and businesslike was his administration of the municipal affairs of the city that in 1921 he was reelected, thus serving two full terms in that office, to the credit of himself and the voters who chose him, and to the lasting benefit of the city. After serving the city of Lakewood as mayor for four years, Mr. Hill joined the organization of the C. O. Frick Company, real estate dealers, with offices in the Marshal Building, Cleveland.
Mr. Hill is a member of the Cleveland and Lakewood Chambers of Commerce and of Troop A, Veterans’ Association.
April 19, 1902, at Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Hill was united in marriage with Miss
Nellie B. Herbruck, who was born in Canton, Ohio, the daughter of Edward
Herbruck, of the prominent old family of that name of Canton. To Mr. and
Mrs. Hill the following children have been born: Edward E. a graduate of
Lakewood High School, is a student at Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania;
Margaret B. and Marion T., (twins) are students at Wells College, Aurora,
LOUIS E. HILL
E. G. LINDSTROM’S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL April 11, 1939.
Mr. Hill was born on the West Side of Cleveland, February 10, 1873. He attended Kentucky Street School and was graduated from West High School, after which he entered business with his father, Col. Hosea Hill, and helped organize the Cleveland Tanning Company.
As a second-Lieutenant of Troop A in the First Ohio Cavalry, Mr. Hill served in the Spanish-American War, seeing a year’s active service in the Philippine Islands.
Weakened by Typhoid Malaria in the insular campaign and making a slow recovery, he resigned his commission and returned to the tanning concern. He continued with the company as secretary until his election.
One of his first accomplishments in office was to move the Lakewood City Hall from crowded quarters in a former residence at Warren Road and Detroit Avenue to its present headquarters in Lakewood Park.
Calling upon his military training, he also instituted army correspondence procedure between all department heads, reviewing all interoffice communications to keep abreast of affairs. He required daily reports of some departments and met every morning with his department heads in conferences that often lasted hours.
As a mayor, Mr. Hill is remembered for his geniality and good-humored association with members of the City Council.
After leaving office, he became associated with the C. O. Frick Company, real estate concern, having charge of the business properties department. He retired from business six years ago.
Mr. Hill was long a member and at one time president of the Clifton Club and also was a member of Westwood Country Club. He was active in the Troop A Veterans’ Association.
Louis E. Hill, Mayor of Lakewood from 1920 to 1924, died yesterday at the United States Marine Hospital, where he had been confined a week after becoming ill while on a winter vacation in Florida.
Mr. Hill became mayor of Lakewood in a good government drive in which women residents were the moving force. He never had held a political office prior to his election, but by applying the creed, “Politics is best served by getting efficient public service”, he administered the suburb’s government with soundness and economy, according to former Law Director Robert G. Curren, who served under him.
am very sorry to hear of his passing,” Curren said. “I am quite sure that
in his two administrations as mayor, Mr. Hill gave the very highest service
to the city.”
HON. EDWARD ALEXANDER WIEGAND
HISTORY OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND CLEVELAND - W. R. COATES -- Volume II, Pg. 218-219
Hon. Edward Alexander Wiegand, mayor of the City of Lakewood, is well and favorably known in the “Greater Cleveland” district, for he was born in Cleveland and is prominent in the affairs of Lakewood.
Mr. Wiegand was born on the south side of Cleveland, on November 15, 1877, the son of Edward and Julia (Braeue) Wiegand. His father died in 1884, and later his mother again married, and the family moved to Pittsburgh, in which city the future mayor received his early schooling and where he first became a wage earner. At the age of ten and a half years he became cash boy in one of Pittsburgh’s large department stores, for a weekly wage of $1.50, and during the next several years he found employment indifferent capacities in different establishments in the same city. The family returned to Cleveland, and young Edward, then a lad of thirteen years, found employment in the cooper shops of Greif Brothers. Two years later he became shipping clerk for the Columbia Brewing Company of Cleveland, and when that company combined with the Cleveland-Sandusky Company he continued with the greater concern as bookkeeper and later was placed in the sales department. Subsequently he became identified with the Leisy Brewing Company as assistant to the president, and still later he was promoted to sales manager. On July 1, 1923, he was made general manger of the Cleveland-Sandusky Company, a position he held until he resigned to enter the primaries for the nomination as mayor of Lakewood in 1923.
The mayoralty election was hotly contested, but after a strenuous campaign Mr. Wiegand was successful by a comfortable margin in a three-cornered contest at the November, 1923, election, and took office January 1, 1924. It was said in the campaign by Mr. Wiegand opponents that if he were elected he would not enforce the laws, but under his administration the laws have been more generally and efficiently enforced than ever before in the history of the municipality, March, 1924, showing the largest returns in the history of the department in a single month. During the campaign he promised to give the city, if elected, a purely business administration and in order to make good that promise, as soon as he was inducted into office he set about reorganization of his cabinet by securing the assistance of men thoroughly qualified to carry out his ideas as to needed reforms, with the result that he selected new and thoroughly competent heads for the departments of building, finance, law, streets and garbage, all of which departments are functioning 100 percent, and innovations and improvements follow one after the other to the benefit of the municipality. In 1923 but three collections of ashes and rubbish were made, while under the present administration three collections were made in its first four months, and the collections were made at less cost to the city by reason of the employment of privately owned trucks for the purpose. In April Mayor Wiegand, took up with the Nickel Plate Railroad Company the matter of safe-guarding traffic at the crossings in Lakewood, with the result that traffic is much more safe than ever before, with still more safety promised for the near future. On the invitation of Mr. H. O. Berg, director of the Cleveland Recreational Council, in May, 1924, Mayor Wiegand visited the cities of Chicago and Milwaukee and inspected the wonderful development in he recreation and playgrounds of those cities, and he plans, as the city’s finances will permit, to incorporate the same features along those lines in the parks and playgrounds of Lakewood. While in Chicago and Milwaukee Mayor Wiegand also saw what wonderful improvements those cities have made in the development of their lake fronts, and upon his return home he presented to the City Council the project of improving Lakewood’s water front, and a dump for dirt and ashes has already been established which, it is believed, will eventually result in great improvement, including a pier at the City Hall.
Mayor Wiegand is also prominent in the business and social affairs of Lakewood. He is president of the County Savings and Loan Company and president of the County Mortgage Company, two flourishing financial institutions of which he was one of the promoters and incorporators, He is a former vice president of the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce; is past exalted ruler of Lakewood Lodge No. 1350, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; a member of Clifton Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Cleveland Lodge No. 65, Loyal Order of Moose; Greater Lakewood League; Lakewood Republican Club, Lakewood Young Men’s Christian Association and Cleveland Kiwanis Club.
As a citizen Mayor Wiegand has given freely of his time and energies to the development of Lakewood and its public welfare, and few men of the city are better known or more highly esteemed and appreciated than he, and his circle of friends is large and ever widening. His success in life has not been an accident, but is due to his native good sense and sound judgment, fine executive ability, and perseverance and determination to accomplish results in whatever he undertakes, aided by a keen judgment of men and by his strong and genial personality, which enables him to win and hold the confidence of those with whom he comes in contact in public, business and private life.
Wiegand was united in marriage with Miss Charlotta May Schmidt, who was
born in Alleghany (now a part of the City of Pittsburgh), and to them have
been born three children: Catherine, born October 2, 1903; Julia Clara,
born January 27, 1905; Edward Albert, born June 8, 1907.
EDWARD ALEXANDER WIEGAND*
E. G. LINDSTROM’S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL
Mayor Wiegand was born on the south side of Cleveland, November 15, 1877. Son of Edward and Julia (Brauel) Wiegand. Father was drowned in 1884.
He attended his education in the old Hicks Street School, when a child. About a year later he and his mother moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where his mother married again to Christion Foernzler. He attended the Forbes Street (6th ward) School, and later the Bellefield (14th ward) School until 101/2 years old, at which time he became a cash boy in Kaufman’s Department Store, at a salary of $1.50 per week. Previous to that time while attending school he sold newspapers at the Old Post Office on the corner of Smithfield Street and Fifth Avenue, from there he went to the Bohley Hotel as bell boy, and from there to the famous old Seventh Avenue Hotel as elevator boy.
The family moved to Cleveland and settled on the west side. He was thirteen years old. His first job in Cleveland was at the Greif Brothers Cooper Shop on Willey Street. Later on he worked for the Union Clothing Company. When he was seventeen years old he moved to the east side on old Dunham Avenue, now East 66th Street. At this time he got a job running a punch press for the Cleveland Brewing Company, of Cleveland, and when the company combined with Cleveland and Sandusky Brewing Company, on May 28, 1898, he continued as bookkeeper, and later was placed in the Sales Department.
He left the Cleveland and Sandusky Brewing Company, August 12, 1907, to accept the position of Assistant General Manager, where he remained until June 16, 1917, at the Leisy Brewing Company, as assistant to the president, and was also elected to the Board of Directors. Later on he was promoted to Sales Manager, and on July 1, 1923, was made General Manger of the Cleveland-Sandusky Company, which position he held until he resigned to enter the primaries for the nomination of Mayor of Lakewood, Ohio.
On September 28, 1899, he married Charlotta May Schmidt, who was born in Allegheny, (now known as the north side of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). They had four children: Irene May Wiegand, born March 1, 1902, died March 1, 1903; Catherine Louise Wiegand, born October 2, 1903; Julia Clara Wiegand, born January 27, 1905; Edward Albert Wiegand, born June 8, 1906. They celebrated their 25th Silver Wedding anniversary, on September 28, 1924. Their daughter Catherine Louise Wiegand was united in marriage on their wedding anniversary to William Lovell Siekman.
They moved to Lakewood at Thanksgiving time in 1908. His mother is still alive and was 70 years old January 5, 1926.
He has always taken an active part in the civic affairs of Lakewood, becoming a member of the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce. Was elected Director and First Vice President and served as such in 1922-1923. In 1915 he was a candidate for councilman but was defeated. In 1917, he again became a candidate, and was elected by 57 or 58 votes. In 1919, he was reelected and served as President of the Council in 1920 and 1921. In 1921 he became a candidate for Mayor in a four cornered fight and was defeated. In 1923, he again became a candidate for Mayor and after a three cornered hotly contested fight was elected.
He took office January 1, 1924. It was said in the campaign by his opponents that if he was elected he wouldn’t enforce the laws, but under his administration the laws have been more generally and efficiently enforced than ever before in the history of Lakewood. The year 1924 showed the largest returns in fines collected over any previous year. During the campaign he promised, if elected, to give the city a business administration, and in order to bring this about he appointed a new Director of Finance (Amos I. Kauffman), and a new Director of Law (Arthur E. Brueckner), and made such other changes as he deemed necessary. Every change was productive of better results, so that now the people are receiving better service from all departments.
Parks and playgrounds were intensely developed. On the invitation of Mr. H. O. Berg, Director of the Cleveland Recreational Council, in May, 1924, he visited the cities of Chicago and Milwaukee, and inspected the wonderful development and playgrounds of those cities, and from this trip, and knowledge gained he was able to improve our own, in Lakewood. He also saw the wonderful developments of their lake fronts, and on his return he presented to the City Council his idea about improving Lakewood’s water front, particularly at Lakewood Park, where the City Hall is located. His administration planned and started many improvements, such as the elimination of West 117th Street grade crossing, acquiring of necessary land for entrance to the Metropolitan Boulevard, building of $150,000 armory in Rocky River Valley, comfort station at Madison Park, wading pools at Madison and Lakewood Parks, active procuring of Hilliard Road Bridge, new fire station and equipment for eastern section of city. Made Lakewood noted for enforcement of boulevard stop ordinance. Improved street repairs. Complete rebuilding of street and sidewalk crossings of Nickel Plate Railway. Rendered valuable aid to Lorain, Ohio, on June 28, 1924, when a Tornado visited Lorain, with doctors, nurses, police, fire, building, forestry and street departments.
Mayor Wiegand is president of the County Savings and Loan Company, and Chairman of the Executive Committee, a one and one-half million dollar company, President of the County Mortgage Company, and Chairman of the Executive Committee, a $500,000 company, also a member of the Detroit Avenue Savings and Loan Company, and the Lakewood Savings and Loan Company, Director of the Cleveland and Sandusky Company, former Vice President of Lakewood Chamber of Commerce, past Exalted Ruler of Lakewood Lodge 1350, B.P.O. Elks.
of Clifton Lodge 664 F. and A. Masons,
Member of Cleveland Lodge 63 L.O.O. of Moose,
Member of Lakewood Lodge 729 K. of P.,
Member of Chamber of Commerce,
Director Cuyahoga County Chamber of Commerce,
Member Greater Lakewood League,
Director Lakewood Republican Club,
Member Western Reserve Club,
Member Republican County Executive Committee
Member Cleveland Kiwanis Club,
Member Lakewood Y.M.C.A.
Member Cleveland Automobile Club,
Member Trinity Lutheran Church of Lakewood, Ohio.
As a boy he was intensely interested in athletics, attending Turn Verin and Central Y.M.C.A. where he built up a good strong constitution. However, in the last twenty years he has been too busy to give time to any sport or amusement except an occasional baseball game, or perhaps the movies.
Mayor was elected again in 1925 without any opposition, a singular tribute
to any man. The Mayor has fulfilled his many promises and has accomplished
many good things for Lakewood.
AMOS I. KAUFFMAN
LAKEWOOD COURIER -- November 9, 1933 pg. 1
Mayor Amos I. Kauffman, who was reelected Tuesday, was born in Davidsville, Pennsylvania, on November 9, 1878.
Mr. Kauffman’s early life was spent as a railroad man. He became interested in the union activities of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen, and was elected to its board of directors.
In 1920, he was appointed to a post in the office of the president of the union, and came to Cleveland to live.
In 1924, the late Mayor Edward A Wiegand appointed Mr. Kauffman as his finance director, a post he held until 1932, when he automatically became mayor upon the death of Mr. Wiegand.
His home is at 2070,
AMOS I. KAUFFMAN
HISTORY OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND CLEVELAND pg. 205-206 -- W. R. COATES -- Volume II
Amos I. Kauffman, chairman of the board of directors of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, and director of finance for the City of Lakewood, was born at Davidsville, in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, November 9, 1875, son of Isaac and Annie (Kauffman) Kauffman. His parents were born in Somerset County, and are still living in that county, the father retired from active business. The Kauffman family for five generations has been identified with the farming interest of that section of Pennsylvania.
Amos I. Kauffman grew up on the old homestead, remaining there until twenty-one years of age. He acquired a public school education, and in 1899 began his experience in railroading as a locomotive fireman with the Pennsylvania system. His first run was between Pittsburgh and Altoona. Mr. Kauffman was for twenty-one years a trusted and efficient employee of the Pennsylvania Railroad, spending five years as fireman and sixteen years as an engineer.
The year after he entered the railway service he joined the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen. In 1902 he was elected president of the local lodge of the order, and in the same year became a member of the general grievance committee, handling the grievance and wage questions between the Brotherhood and the railway officials. He continued a member of that committee for twelve years, four years as secretary and treasurer, and four years as chairman of the committee. At the convention of the Brotherhood at Washington, in 1913, he was elected a member of the board of directors, and by reelection has served continuously. From July, 1919 to July, 1923, he was secretary of the board and in July, 1923, was elected chairman.
In the meantime, in 1920, Mr. Kauffman resigned his position as an engineer with the Pennsylvania system, and in that year came to Cleveland and entered the presidents department of the Brotherhood. As chairman of the board he assists annually in auditing thirteen separate accounts of the organization, involving a total of $12,000,000 of Brotherhood funds.
In 1920 Mr. Kauffman became a resident of Lakewood, and when Edward A. Wiegand was inaugurated mayor of Lakewood, January 1, 1924, he invited Mr. Kauffman to take a place in his cabinet as director of finance, and on January 15, 1924, he assumed the duties of this office, having obtained from the Brotherhood a leave of absence for the purpose. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Clifton Lodge No. 664, Free and Accepted Masons, with Lakewood Lodge No. 429, Knights of Pythias, and Lodge No. 3385 of the American Yeomen.
Mr. Kauffman married,
June 23, 1903, Miss Emma Greenwood, who was born and reared in Cambria
County, Pennsylvania, daughter of James and Catherine Greenwood. They have
one son, Harold Curtis Kauffman, born January 11, 1911.
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD - F. C. LOWING
The subject of this sketch was the sixth mayor of Lakewood, and he took office in January, 1908. He was born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, October 6, 1864 and came to the city in 1891. He learned the business of baker and confectioner and while in Cleveland was largely interested in the wholesale and manufacturing branch of that business.
Mr. Miller was made a
Councilman in 1904 and was advanced to the position of Mayor in 1905. He
was the executive head of Lakewood’s government for two terms, or four
Return to Local History Files Main Page