70: Schools, Private and Parochial
To Start Work on New St. Luke's School Soon
70:2 Smith Business College
70:3 Lakewood School of Music
70:4 Mozart College
70:5 The Sisters of Charity of Saint Augustine Mother house and novitiate
TO START WORK ON NEW ST. LUKE'S SCHOOL SOON
SUBURBAN NEWS AND HERALD 1926
The parish of St. Luke's Catholic Church announces that plans for a new school are in the hands of the city building department for checking this week, before actual construction begins.
The new school, which will be located on Clifton Boulevard between Chase avenue and Bunts road, was designed by William Koehl, architect, 1720 Euclid ave. It will be 83 x63 feet, two stories high, and contain four class rooms and a center corridor on each floor.
Construction will of brick, with a hip slate roof. Arched windows, the full two-stories in height, will be between pilasters of brick, and the front entrance is extended higher than the roof, and capped by a cross.
The interior finish will be oak, with maple flooring. Corridors will have terrazzo floor and base, and cement wainscotting. Stairs are of iron, with terrazzo treads.
The class rooms are approximately 34x23 feet and provide for forty pupils in each.
Provision is made in the architect's sketch for a future addition, at the rear, and a future church to be located east of the school.
"The school comes as
a result of a definite need," stated Rev. Heffernan, the pastor.
"We have been working on the plans for some time and expect to have a school
which will meet our requirements for the present."
SMITH BUSINESS COLLEGE
LAKEWOOD PRESS -- Mazrch 7, 1918, Pg. 20
Realizing the growing and insistent demand of the business world today for more competent stenographers, for those better trained and with higher qualifications; also how poorly equipped the average stenographer is for facing the world and obtaining a first-class position, after graduating -- when they have been rushed through the principles in such large numbers without due consideration, no cognizance having been taken of their individual needs, and realizing, too, the great need of an exclusive shorthand school -- the Smith School of Shorthand and Bookkeeping, located near Highland and Detroit Avenues, is prepared to meet the individual need of each and every pupil and to personally supervise their studies.
The old reliable Graham phonography is taught, which is the system universally adopted by reporters and experts throughout the country.
Mr. C.H. Smith, who will be assisted by Mrs. Smith, has had a wide experience in secretarial and reporting work, and is also a graduate of the "Success" School of Chicago. Mrs. Smith is a graduate of Bryand and Stratton's Business College of Buffalo, where she was engaged in teaching for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both eminently qualified to teach the art of shorthand to any one desiring to specialize along commercial, legal, secretarial and reporting lines.
The Smith School of Shorthand
cordially invites parents who are interested in having their sons and daughters
educated for commercial positions to call so that they may go into the
matter in detail.
ARTS AND CRAFTS
LAKEWOOD SCHOOL OF MUSIC
LAKEWOOD PRESS -- March 7, 1918, Pg. 18
As in all other things Lakewood leads in music. The Lakewood School of Music has gained a national reputation for the ability of the instructors in the various departments.
Following are the instructors and the departments in which they preside:
Vocal; Sara Curtis
Piano; George J. Heckman, Clifford P. Barnes and Mary L. Mickey
Harp; Elsa Hoertz
Violin; George J. Heckman and Vaughn D. Cahill
Mandolin, banjo, guitar and Hawaiian instruments; Mrs. Margaret Rogers
Cornet and other brass instruments; Clifford P. Barne
Flute, piccola, drums, bells, etc.; Fred Groenwald and Carl S. Fisher
Theory, harmony, counterpoint, composition and orchestration; George J. Heckman, Vaughn D. Cahill and C.P. Barne
Orchestra class; George J. Heckman and Vaughn D. Cahill
Band class; Clifford P. Barne
Ragtime piano playing; Josephine McMahon
Expression, dramatic, literature and physical culture; Nadine Motts.
Sara Curtis, the principal,
as well as the vocal teacher, has the benefit of years of study with Sir
Frederick Bridge, Professor Jacobs, Sibley, Churchill, and A. Montague
Northcroft, of London, England. Under her supervision the Lakewood
College of Music has gained a fine reputation.
ARTS AND CRAFTS
LAKEWOOD PRESS -- March 7, 1918, Pg. 19
About a year ago Mr. A.C. Ruoff, realizing the demand for instrumental music, and especially violin and piano, opened the Mozart College of Music in the Studio Building, 11812 Detroit Avenue.
Almost at once the college became popular and his teaching was such that students became proficient in an incredible short time. Mr. Ruoff also has a studio at West 25th Street and Clark, as well as at 187 East 185th Street, where the same branches are taught.
Although individual lessons are given, the specialty of the Mozart school is class work, which Professor Ruoff says is recommended to be the best, all things considered. The Mozart School of Music now has many pupils and they are about equally divided between piano and violin.
It is quite a compliment
to Professor Ruoff when it is understood that notwithstanding the comparatively
short time since the establishment of this school, to note the place taken
by the Mozart School in musical circles in not only Lakewood and Cleveland,
but in communities far removed from these places. Many inquiries
are coming in by mail, and students are enrolling from a distance frequently.
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Augustine
Mother house and novitiate.
Information given by Sister Mary de Sales, Librarian, Saint Augustine Academy
The Sisters of Charity
of Saint Augustine
Mother house and novitiate.
The property for the mother house and novitiate of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine was purchased in 1886. There was on this property a two-story frame building which Senator Mark Hanna had leased for three years. He later moved to Edgewater Drive. In 1888 several Sisters occupied this building known as the "Hanna Cottage."
The present three-story
convent building was dedicated on August 28, 1892.
Material......red brick trimmed with sandstone.
Contractor....Bernard Van de Velde
Supervisor of Carpentry...Mr. Rockford
The Saint Augustine Academy
High School building, a two-story and basement brick, stone-trimmed building
was dedicated in 1925. The Saint Augustine Academy Elementary School
building, a two-story brick, stone-trimmed building was dedicated in 1928.
Both of these buildings are now used for high school purposes. Mr.
William Koehl was the architect for both school buildings.