History of Lakewood Schools: Lakewood High School
History of Lakewood Schools:
Lakewood High School
Lakewood Press: March 7, 1918, Pg. 25
Lakewood is to Cleveland what Evanston is to Chicago, Mont Claire to New York. What was more fitting then that the people of Lakewood should buy 18 acres of ground as a site for an unusual school for an unusual community? The location is ideal, situated between Bunts Road and Robinwood on Franklin Avenue.
At present four buildings are under construction, a main building, women's building, men's building, and heating plant.
In the main building are administration offices, laboratories, recitation rooms, study halls, auditorium, library and a gymnasium. On the third floor are ample quarters for commercial work. The auditorium has a seating capacity of one thousand and will be a commodious community-meeting place. The library seats 100 and has a capacity of 5,000 volumes.
The subjects taught in this building are Latin, German, French, Spanish. The sciences are agriculture, general science, general chemistry, industrial chemistry, household chemistry and physics. The science laboratories are models of their kind and will have every appliance for carrying on individual experimental work. Those wishing to specialize in chemistry or agriculture may spend 20 hours a week in laboratory. Just a note on science -- in each course the pupil's study is in the field of his probable experience. In physics, for example, the boy studies machines and electricity -- often from the real machine instead of from a model. The girl studies the mechanics of the washing machine, ironing machine, sewing machine and vacuum sweeper. The study of levers, gears, speeds, friction forces, is all found in household implements. Why couldn't Mrs. Future Lakewood make her own minor repairs, put washers in her faucets and fuse her electric devices. Incidentally, such physics is far more interesting to her than the study of steam engines, air pressures, and electricity developed on a piece of glass rod. The study halls accommodate 300 at a time and each pupil will have from one to three hours a day there for study. The gymnasium has the largest free floor space of any in Cleveland vicinity and a ceiling height of 22 feet. Here each seventh and eighth grade pupil has one hour a day for physical training and the older pupils four hours a week.
The building for women has a gymnasium 72 feet long, ample shower and locker facilities, rooms for sewing, millinery, applied art, pottery, art metal, cooking, botany, physiology and hygiene laboratory, a food chemistry laboratory and lecture room, a hospital and rest room, a housekeeping suite for practice work, and restaurant with a capacity for 600 guests. Expert dressmakers and milliners will teach the girls how to design, draft and make their own clothes and hats. This means better clothes and hats for the girl and at less money than it costs her now. The restaurant will be run entirely by the domestic science girls, thus assuring everybody the best of things to eat, and assuring the girl pleasant work and valuable information. A social and exhibit room on the second floor affords the girls a place to receive their friends and exhibit the work of the various departments. It is hoped Lakewood women will form a habit of visiting this women's building, probably the only high school building of the kind, in the country. What is better education for a girl than to learn everything she ought to know about her home? What a pleasure for her to plan her home, her color schemes, the placing of her furniture. The housekeeping suite has a living room, bedroom, bathroom, dining room, and kitchen. Here the girls will take turns in home keeping. There is just room for four guests and equipment for just that many. In the bedroom, home nursing will be taught and all the simpler hospital methods used. Girls will learn the care and ventilation of the sick room, how to treat different diseases, how to change the bed linen without disturbing the patient, how to prepare and serve invalid cookery, how to do bandaging.
In the men's building are shops and laboratories for the study of electricity, machine shop, foundry, forge, pipe fitting and pluming, carpentry, pattern making, sheet metal work, printing, drafting, photography. The shop teachers are expert mechanics. This assures the boy of right teaching in the handling of tools and materials. Every boy in technical courses has work in pattern shop and foundry, forging and pipefitting, carpentry, machine shop and drafting. This gives him a good foundation for any shop or drafting room he may choose for special work. During the last two years he may spend 14 to 20 hours a week in that line of work he has chosen. The foundry has a capacity of about one ton of iron per hour. The carpenter shop is large, roomy, 20 feet high. Here the boy may build garages and small cottages. Everyone must learn to draw, and after he has learned the mechanics of the subject he may devote his time to architectural drawing, structural drawing or machine design. The electrical and machine shops are so constructed that one can drive in with team or truck and leave motors, generators, or automobiles for repairs.
The grounds are being laid out for large use. There is a quarter-mile track, a football field, soccer field, hockey field, baseball field, tennis courts, and basketball courts. Arrangements are made for skating in season. Four acres are set aside for practice in agriculture.
Never has a city made better physical preparation for the education of her youth -- and Lakewood should surpass other cities. We are accustomed to better things here and expect them.
And what of the use of this magnificent educational plant? Four courses are offered -- classical, scientific, technical and commercial. Each course calls for 25 to 35 hours a week of classroom instruction and 20 to 30 hours a week of study. All courses are founded on a good, four-year education in English, science and mathematics. To these fundamentals is added -- Latin for the classical student, science and modern language for the scientific student, shop and drawing or sewing, cooking and art for the technical student, and commercial branches for those so inclined. All courses prepare for college. The technical and commercial courses also prepare those who will at the conclusion of their high school work enter the business world.
School will be in continuous session from 8:30 until 3:30, and from 3:30 to 6:00 school activities will occur. This latter time is given over to athletics, bands, orchestras, glee clubs, dramatics, and social good times. Music as well as athletics will be a feature of after school activities and school credit will be given for work done in both instrumental and vocal music.
Young Lakewood's daily schedule reads: Work hard, 8:30 -- 3:30; play hard, 3:30 -- 6:00; eat dinner, prepare next day's lessons, go to bed.
Old Lakewood got its schooling in modest school room quarters. Young Lakewood has facilities beyond those of most colleges of twenty years ago.
One does not realize the magnitude of this educational plant until some data is given. When its doors are opened in September, 1918, it will be ready for 2,000 children, will have 57 class rooms, four acres of floor space, six acres of play grounds, will contain $35,000 worth of furniture, $100,000 worth of equipment and the total cost will be over a million dollars.
Well may Lakewood be proud of such a school. The value of a community depends on how it teaches its youth "How to live". For this reason the new high school is one of Lakewood's greatest assets.
R. L. Short
Director, Lakewood High Schools
Robert L. Short, principal, Lakewood High School (1918-1920), contributed this article, Lakewood High School, which appeared in the Lakewood Press newspaper on March 7, 1918.