The Lakewood Public Schools - 1984: A Compilation of Histories

Schools of Lakewood

EAST ROCKPORT CENTRAL SCHOOL
1456 Warren Road

Originally called Middle School, it was a one-room brick building.

It was replaced by a four-room brick school in 1879 and named "Central School". It was a combination grade and high school.

When the "first separate High School" (1470 Warren) was built, Central School became an elementary school and eventually the school system administrative offices.

A manual training addition was made on the Victoria Avenue side of the building in 1907.

Over the years the building has had a variety of uses. In 1981 it houses the Adult Education and Recreation Department, the Lakewood School of Practical Nursing, and the Warehouse of school system supplies.

BOARD OF EDUCATION BUILDING
1470 Warren Road

Built in 1899 as the "first separate High School" in Lakewood, it was a two-story brick colonial.

The first high school. classes were held in 1900.

It was used as a high school until 1904 when a larger "second separate High School" was built across Warren Road (later called Wilson School).

The building became an elementary school in 1904.

Principal of the "first separate High School":

Herbert Kennedy 1900 to 1904

WILSON SCHOOL
East side of Warren Road...opposite the Board of Education

Originally called the (second separate) High School, it was built because of the dramatic increase in numbers of students.

It was erected in 1904.

It remained the High School until 1918 when Lakewood High School was built at Franklin Boulevard and Bunts Road.

Wilson School became an elementary and junior high school until 1942.

It was condemned for school purposes, but was used as a recreation and Red Cross Center until it was demolished in 1947.

Principals of Wilson School:

Herbert W. Kennedy, Principal, High School 1904 to 1918
Flora J. Wilcox, Principal, Wilson School 1918 to 1939
Alma Johnson, Principal, Wilson School 1939 to 1942
- Also principal of Grant School 1939 to 1947

LAKEWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
14100 Franklin Boulevard -- 1918 to 1984

The Main Building opened on November 21, 1918. Because of a world-wide influenza epidemic, the building was closed after one week. The school opened again in January, 1919.

The Women's and Men's Buildings (later named the Science and Arts Buildings) opened in 1920.

The Briggs Swimming Pool opened in 1928.

Additions of The Boy's Gymnasium and the Student Center ("L Room") were opened in 1953.

The Lakewood High School Civic Auditorium was opened in 1955.

A ground level Cafeteria at the front of the High School opened in 1960.

The additions of a Media Center, Cafeteria, a Girls' Gymnasium, Academic Center, and a Vocational Education Building were opened in 1970.

Principals of Lakewood High School:

William Lippert 1881 to 1888
Charles J. Weeks 1888 to 1895
J. M. H. Fredericks 1895 to 1900
Herbert W. Kennedy 1900 to 1918
Robert L. Short 1918 to May 5, 1920
B. A. Gates (Acting principal) 1920
Claude P. Briggs 1920 to 1927
John C. Mitchell, Jr. 1927 to 1940
Paul A. Rehmus 1940 to 1941
Lawrence E. Vredevoe 1941 to 1948
Mahlon A. Povenmire 1948 to 1967
Dr. Kimball L. Howes 1967 to 1971
Eugene W. Myslenski 1971 to 1976
Hubert E. Meabon, Jr. 197 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

Assistant Principals, House Principals, Administrative Assistant, Deans, Coordinators, Supervisors, Placement Director, Administrative Interns, Attendance Administrator:

Jane Pengelly, Dean of Girls 19-   to 1930
Robert L. Meeks, Assistant Principal 1928 to 1960
Lucy Kimball, Dean of Girls 1930 to 1957
Theodore Cunningham, Supervisor of Athletics 1950 to 1952
Dale Hutson, Curriculum Coordinator 1950 to 1954
Agnes Cope, Dean of Girls 1957 to 1970
Marthella Spinneweber, Vocational Guidance and Placement Director 1957 to 1970
Theodore Cunningham, Assistant Principal 1960 to 1969
Alfred Rasp, Assistant Principal, Instruction 1963 to 1964
Richard Beyer, Assistant Principal, Instruction 1966 to 1968
Miles Reiley, Administrative Assistant 1966 to 1970
Anthony DiBiasio, Administrative Intern 1967 to 1969
Allen Lindsay, Administrative Intern 1967 to 1970
J. Clark West, Attendance Administrator 1967 to 1969
John Wood, Assistant Principal, Instruction 1969 to 1979
Anthony DiBiasio, Coordinator, Learning Resource Center 1969 to 1984*
Eugene Myslenski, Principal, House I 1970 to 1971
Agnes Cope, Principal, House II 1970 to 1975
Theodore Cunningham, Principal, House III 1969 to 1970
Miles Reiley, Assistant Principal, Administration 1970 to 1979
William Hamilton, Coordinator, Humanities/Communications 1970 to 1974
James Ulrich, Principal, House I 1971 to 1979
Eugene Degyansky, Principal, House III 1971 to 1980
William Hamilton, Coordinator, Social Studies/Extended Services 1974 to 1977
Donna Burton, Principal, House II 1975 to 1976
Allen Lindsay, Principal, House II 1976 to 1979
Charlane Bowden, Principal, House II 1979 to 1984*
Allen Lindsay, Principal, House I 1979 to 1984*
James Ulrich, Assistant Principal, Instruction 1979 to 1984*
John Wood, Assistant Principal, Administration 1979 to 1982
Samuel Cappas, Principal, House III 1980 to 1982
Gilbert Fritzsch, Principal, House III 1982 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

EMERSON MIDDLE SCHOOL
13439 Clifton Boulevard

Opened as Emerson Junior High School in February, 1922.

An addition of classrooms was erected in 1970.

Emerson Junior High School was renamed Emerson Middle School in 1970.

Principals of Emerson Junior High School/Middle School:

Mabelle A. Monson 1922 to 1939
Grace Needham 1939 to 1952
Arthur J. Knape 1952 to 1957
Cletis F. Johnson 1957 to 1973
Donavin W. Moser 1973 to 1984*

Assistant Principals:

Jane Searce 1928 to 1929
Grace Needham 1929 to 1936
Beatrice Prior 1937 to 1938
J. D. Martin 1939 to 1945
Kent Leach 1946
Abby Rush 1947 to 1948
John Rowe 1966 to 1969
Robert Hayden 1970 to 1976
John Black 1977 to 1984

*Incumbent (in 1984)

HARDING MIDDLE SCHOOL
16600 Hilliard Road

Opened as Harding Junior High School in September, 1925.

An Auditorium addition was completed in 1927.

An addition of classrooms was built in 1960.

Harding Junior High School was renamed Harding Middle School in 1970.

Principals of Harding Junior High School/Middle School:

Robert L. Meeks 1925 to 1928
Samuel S. Dickey 1928 to 1940
Virgil A. Wallace 1940 to 1964
Robert W. Miller 1964 to 1983
Robert R. Hayden 1983 to 1984*

Assistant Principals:

Ethel Howard 1925 to 1935
Marjorie Ahrens 1935 to 1937
Ethel Palmer 1937 to 1951
Emeline Ebert 1951 to 1963
Charles Brobeck 1963 to 1965
Paul Wise 1966 to 1970
Allen Lindsay 1970 to 1976
Robert Witman 1976 to 1982
Allen Sinkovich 1982 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

HORACE MANN MIDDLE SCHOOL
1216 West Clifton Boulevard

Opened as Horace Mann Junior High School in September, 1922.

An addition of classrooms was built in 1970.

Horace Mann Junior High School was renamed Horace Mann Middle School in 1970.

Principals of Horace Mann Junior High School/Middle School:

H. Dale Davis 1923 to 1924
Caspar C. Clark 1924 to 1965
Charles L. Russell 1965 to 1976
Robert R. Hayden 1976 to 1983
Edwin R. Isaly 1983 to 1984*

Assistant Principals:

Marie Disney 19 to 1952
Charles Russell 1962 to 1965
Donavin Moser 1966 to 1973
R. Dean Smith 1973 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

FRANKLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
13465 Franklin Boulevard at Lewis Drive

Constructed in 1907 as a four-room brick school.

The second four rooms were added in 1915.

The third four rooms were added in 1921.

An auditorium-gymnasium was added in 1950.

Principals of Franklin School:

Mabelle A. Monson 1907 to 1910
Bertha Wagar 1910 to 1914
Rachel I. Bevington 1914 to 1921
Eva D. Mayer 1921 to 1932
Ethel Griffiths 1932 to 1936
- Also principal of Garfield Elementary School 1934 to 1936
Alma E. Johnson 1936 to 1939
Mary S. Sloane 1939 to 1947
Arthur J. Knape 1947 to 1952
- Also principal of Grant Elementary School 1947 to 1952
Sylvia Kleinsmith 1952 to 1956
- Also principal of Taft Elementary School 1952 to 1956
William E. Vejdovec 1956 to 1959
George C. Anderson 1959 to 1967
- Also principal of Grant Elementary School 1964 to 1966
Carolyn Ezzo 1967 to 1981
Fiore Tassone 1981 to 1983
- Also principal of Taft Elementary School 1973 to 1983
Carolyn Kish 1983 to 1984*
- Also facilitator of Auxiliary Services 1980 to 1984*

GARFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
13114 Detroit Avenue

Originally called East School, it was a one-room brick school.

East School was partitioned into two rooms in 1891.

East School was replaced in 1893 by a four-room colonial brick designed by James Christford.

The building was enlarged to eight rooms in 1901, and to 16 rooms in 1911.

An auditorium-gymnasium was added in 1950.

Principals of Garfield School:

Three principals of East School prior to 1891
- H. D. Caldwell
- J. Dwinell
- G. W. Jenkins
Mrs. W. D. Pudney 1891 to 1906
Charles J. Weeks 1906 to 1910
A. C. Bagnall 1910 to 1913
Mabelle A. Monson 1913 to 1921
Rachel I. Bevington 1921 to 1934
Ethel Griffiths 1934 to 1937
- Also principal of Franklin Elementary School 1934 to 1936
Grace Daugherty 1937 to 1945
Sylvia Kleinsmith 1945 to 1952
- Also principal of Taft Elementary School 1939 to 1956
Donald A. Lee 1952 to 1967
Thomas E. Waddle 1967 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

GRANT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1470 Victoria Avenue

The Board of Education Building at 1470 Warren Road was originally built in 1899 as the "first separate High School" in Lakewood.

When the "second separate High School" (later named Wilson School) was built opposite on the east side of Warren Road in 1904, the building at 1470 Warren became an elementary school.

In 1906 a nine-room brick building, facing Victoria Avenue, was attached to the original "first separate High School" at 1470 Warren Road. The entire unit was named Grant School.

In 1912 two rooms were added.

From the 1930's Grant School became, alternately, a primary and an elementary school as the school system's administration moved to 1470 Warren Road.

In 1969 the "new" Grant School, an open-space school, was opened at 1470 Victoria Avenue.

"Old" Grant School was remodeled in 1970 for expanded Board of Education administrative offices.

Principals of Grant School:

Bertha Wagar 1904 to 1910
Emily Cain 1910 to 1932
Flora J. Wilcox 1932 to 1939
- Also principal of Wilson School 1919 to 1939
Alma Johnson 1939 to 1947
- Also principal of Madison School 1945 to 1947
Arthur J. Knape 1947 to 1952
- Also principal of Franklin School 1947 to 1952
Joseph P. Wilson 1952 to 1957
Cora K. Musser 1957 to 1958
Robert G. Oana 1958 to 1961
Carl J. Lochard 1961 to 1965
- Also principal of Harrison School 1962 to 1964
George C. Anderson 1964 to 1966
- Also principal of Franklin School 1964 to 1966
Martha Jane McNeill 1966 to 1979
Donald J. Paul 1979 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

HARRISON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2080 Quail Avenue

Originally called South School, it was a frame building purchased in 1895.

It was replaced in 1896 by a two-room brick school between Quail and Dowd Avenues.

In 1904 two rooms were added; four more in 1906.

In 1916 eight rooms were added; eight more in 1921.

The north-east wing was removed in 1948.

In 1980 Harrison School classes are contained in the north building. The south building is leased to a non-profit community agency - the Center for Human Services.

Principals of Harrison School:

Margaret O'Connor 1895 to 1934
Grace Daugherty 1934 to 1936
Grace Needham 1936 to 1939
Donald A. Lee 1939 to 1949
Lucille Kenney 1949 to 1959
Richard Dutro 1959 to 1962
Carl J. Lochard 1962 to 1966
- Also principal Grant School 1962 to 1964
- Also principal of Taft School 1949 to 1966
Daniel M. Kalish 1966 to 1970
Judith Coombs 1970 to 1973
Thomas G. Lazor 1973 to 1979
Thomas M. Zigman 1979 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

HAYES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
16401 Delaware Avenue

Twelve school rooms were constructed on Delaware Avenue at Northland Avenue and opened on October 12, 1925.

Twelve rooms were added in 1928.

Principals of Hayes School:

Edith M. Curren 1925 to 1937
Ethel Griffiths 1937 to 1959
Helen Reynolds 1959 to 1968
Jack D. Neal 1968 to 1971
John C. Dodd 1971 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
15615 Clifton Boulevard

An eleven-room school was constructed in 1913 on Clifton Boulevard at Summit Avenue.

Eight rooms were added in 1916, and eight more in 1920.

An auditorium-gymnasium was dedicated on December 2, 1969.

Principals of Lincoln School:

Emma H. Weidel 1913 to 1917
Anna L. Sigler 1917 to 1941
Montgomery Will 1941 to 1966
Cora K. Musser 1966 to 1973
Carl J. Lochard 1973 to 1984*

Assistant Principals:

Fred Taylor 1966 to 1968
William English 1968 to 1970

MADISON ELEHENTARYSCHOOL
16601 Madison Avenue

Constructed in 1912 as an eleven-room school on Madison Avenue at Wagar Avenue.

Four rooms were added in 1915, and four more in 1916.

An auditorium-gymnasium was erected in 1957.

Principals of Madison School:

Mabelle A. Monson 1910 to 1913
Ada B. Gedney 1913 to 1930
Sylvia Kleinsmith 1930 to 1939
Flora J. Wilcox 1939 to 1945
Alma E. Johnson 1945 to 1958
- Also principal of Grant School 1945 to 1947
Mildred L. Dicke 1958 to 1971
Donald J. Paul 1971 to 1979
Thomas G. Lazor 1979 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

McKINLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1351 West Clifton Boulevard

Originally called West School, a frame building, it was partitioned into two rooms in 1871.

It was sold for $100 and removed in 1873 and a new one-room brick building was constructed.

A frame addition was built in 1896, all torn down in 1899.

A four-room brick building was erected in 1899 with additions in 1905, 1915, and 1921 - a total of 22 rooms on West Clifton Boulevard.

The west wing was replaced by an open-space building in 1970.

An addition was placed on the east building 1979 and used by school system's Food Service Department to prepare and distribute elementary schools' lunches.

Principals of McKinley School:

Emily Cain 1899 to 1909
Luella Oberholtzer 1909 to 1914
Caroline E. Martin 1914 to 1924
Florence Rogers 1924 to 1946
John D. Cantrell 1946 to 1959
William E. Vejdovec 1959 to 1964
Jack D. Neal 1964 to 1966
Lois A. Welsch 1966 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

ROOSEVELT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
14237 Athens Avenue

An eight room school was opened in 1922 on Athens Avenue at Lincoln Avenue.

Sixteen classrooms were added in 1928.

Principals of Roosevelt School:

Gertrude E. Risley 1923 to 1934
Rachel I. Bevington 1934 to 1949
Donald A. Lee 1949 to 1952
Mildred L. Dicke 1952 to 1958
Cora K. Musser 1958 to 1965
William E. Vejdovec 1965 to 1967
George C. Anderson 1967 to 1968
Edwin R. Isaly 1968 to 1983
Elizabeth Mahoney 1983 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

TAFT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
13701 Lake Avenue

A thirteen-room school building on Whippoorwill Avenue between Lake Avenue and Clifton Boulevard was opened on January 24, 1927.

The auditorium-gymnasium addition opened in 1957.

A learning center was added in 1970.

Principals of Taft School:

Mary Sloane 1927 to 1939
Sylvia Kleinsmith 1939 to 1956
- Also principal of Garfield School 1945 to 1952
- Also principal of Franklin School 1952 to 1956
Lucille McCraith 1956 to 1961
Richard Dutro 1961 to 1964
- Also principal of Harrison School 1961 to 1962
Carl J. Lochard 1964 to 1973
- Also principal of Harrison School 1964 to 1966
Fiore Tassone 1973 to 1983
- Also principal of Franklin School 1981 to 1983
Nancy Karabinus 1983 to 1984*

*Incumbent (in 1984)

The history of the schools of the Lakewood School System, their principals and other administrators are listed. The names of the hundreds of teachers and support staff members are recorded and available for research purposes in the offices of the Board of Education.